Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Planning for 2010

Now, I have to admit that I'm a bit of an organizatrix (term borrowed from a fabulous friend of mine), but planning for Halo's 2010 year has me tearing out my hair. I feel pulled in way too many directions, and only one or two are going to be financially feasible.

Any long-time blog readers still lurking might remember that my original plan was to show Halo in Halter and Showmanship last summer so that she would have some show exposure before I attempted any riding classes. Well, that didn't work out due to wedding conflicts and vet bills.

Now it's 2010 and time to think about whether she might be ready to ride in a walk/trot class this summer on the local open AQHA circuit we have here. I need the following show items before I can consider showing:

Halter/Showmanship
  • Dark oil show lead with chain
  • Showmanship jacket
  • Showmanship pants or nice show jeans
  • Cowboy boots
  • Cowboy hat

Western W/T
  • Rail shirt
  • Show pants or jeans
  • Chaps (maybe not for an open show?? not sure)
  • Cowboy boots
  • Cowboy hat
  • Western saddle
  • Western bridle

English W/T
  • Show helmet
  • Show shirt
  • Jacket
  • Breeches
I need the most stuff to show Western, which unfortunately happens to be what my pony should probably be showing in. Some of it will cross over, though, if I purchase anything for Halter/Showmanship. I know I can show her as Hunter-in-Hand instead, but I fear getting laughed out of the ring with my tiny 14.1 pony when proper HiH horses are big thoroughbred-type horses with legs a mile long. Maybe I will just have to suck it up and look stupid. The real disadvantage is for Halo, though...while I want her to be good at a little of everything, it would be nice for her to have a "career" so that I can target a specific market when and if I decide to sell her.

The first horse show opportunity is on January 23rd in a couple of weeks. I don't think there's any way I can put together enough stuff to show her anything but Hunter in Hand...and she looks so fuzzy right now I would be too embarrassed. I may consider seeing if the barn owner can trailer me over there just to walk her around the showgrounds, though. I'm just not sure she'll have the time free since this is short notice.

The other shows usually begin in June, so I have more time to think about those. I'm just not sure what to do, or what is best for my pony. I'm focusing on paying off some credit card bills this year, so I don't want to compromise my finances just to have some fun. But, at the same time, I do have a little bit of disposable income I can put toward showing.

The other option is to give up all hope of showing and stick to trail riding and maybe doing some team penning. I know nothing about it, but the team penning nights our barn goes to sound casual and like a good place to learn. But again...I probably need a western saddle.

What to do?!

No comments: