Friday, June 5, 2009

No News This Weekend

It has been a quiet week this week, and you won't hear much from me through the weekend, either. I made it to the barn on Tuesday to work with Halo. A few girls were out in the arena taking a lesson, but we had the adjacent round pen to ourselves. I kept the workout simple since it has been a while. We stuck to walking, trotting, and cantering on the longe line. I didn't tack her up - just wanted to give her a brief workout to get back into things. I also set up trot rails on either side of the pen and had her trot and canter over them. It made her more aware of where she was putting her feet, and slowed her down a bit from her sometimes bombastic canter.

After longeing, we did some brief showmanship. We went back to the absolute basics of just walking, halting, and setting up. I've been neglecting my showmanship terribly, and it shows. I want to get back to where we were earlier this spring. She's started routinely walking ahead of me a little bit, and it drives me nuts. More summer goals! I've been working on a list of goals for the summer, so I will try to get them posted soon and chart our progress from there.

1 comment:

Leah Fry said...

Man, I hate it when they crowd me on a lead. Just when I think Poco's finally got it, he starts getting sloppy again. We constantly have refresher courses in lead manners. He stepped on me the Saturday before I got thrown.